Photos: Bienal de Flamenco
Espacio Santa Clara, Seville. Tuesday, September 17th. 9:00pm
Last night, at the Espacio Santa Clara, headquarters of the Bienal de Flamenco de Sevilla, the Giradillo prizes from the last edition of this festival were officially presented.
For some, too much time had passed, and yet the event was a good reminder of some of the best shows to come out of the world’s most prestigious flamenco festival; it opened appetites for next year’s edition, already in preparation. With the presence of all the winners, thirteen prizes were given out to individuals chosen by the specialized jury last October 25th. The number of prizes varies according to the decision of each panel of judges.
The organization prepared a grand celebration for the occasion in the lovely patio of the Santa Clara Convent which last year was adapted as a performance venue for the 2012 Bienal. The entire event was recorded by Canal Sur Television to be aired at a later date.
Some of the winners offered fragments of their winning performances. Veteran dancers Manolo Marín and José Galván delighted the audience with their classic style, as did Patricia Guerrero, winner of the Giraldillo for Best Newcomer, with her fresh modern concepts. Javier Latorre, winner of the prize for Maestría, danced Mozart’s Requiem and a martinete, while José Valencia, winner of the Giraldillo for Cante, was moved to recall that he already had the Best Newcomer prize and Accompaniment Cante prize from earlier editions of the Bienal, saying that with this prize he now felt he had arrived.
Other noteworthy appearances were those of María Pagés, who picked up her Giraldillo for Dance, Antonio Rey and Dani de Morón who shared the Giraldillo for guitar, and Rafaela Carrasco who accepted the jury’s special prize for her organization of the show “La Punta y la Raíz” which closed out the Bienal of 2012.
Singer El Pele, awarded for the “Magic Moment” of the Bienal, closed this night once again conjuring up his magic with soleá and siguiriyas to receive a standing ovation.
• Giraldillo for CANTE: José Valencia
• Giraldillo for CANTE DE ACOMPAÑAMIENTO: José Ángel Carmona for Rosa, Metal, Ceniza
• Giraldillo for BAILE: María Pagés
• Giraldillo for TOQUE: Antonio Rey / Dani de Morón ex aequo
• Giraldillo for TOQUE DE ACOMPAÑAMIENTO: Juan Requena
• Giraldillo for MEJOR ESPECTÁCULO: Aleluya Erótica
• Giraldillo for COREOGRAFÍA: La Consagración
• Giraldillo for DIRECCIÓN ESCÉNICA: Juan Kruz Díaz de Garaio Esnaola por Romances
• Giraldillo for MÚSICA: Las idas y las vueltas
• Giraldillo for ARTISTA REVELACIÓN: Patricia Guerrero
• Giraldillo MAESTRÍA: Javier Latorre
• Giraldillo for MOMENTO MÁGICO DE LA BIENAL: El Pele por Soleá.
• SPECIAL PRIZE: For the show La punta y la raíz.